"What a father says to his children is not heard by the world, but it will be heard for posterity."

Monday, May 20, 2013

Papa's Number 1 Interest: Derby or Cockfighting


If Papa had a Pinterest account, his board will surely include a lot of pics on cockfighting! :)

I know, I'm stating the obvious. But I sometimes feel like this is his first love! LOL. Well, of course I wouldn't think that he does, as I know, deep in my heart, our family comes first for him. But when we are talking about his love for a specific thing or interest, it's no doubt that cockfighting or derby has been his first love on this category.

I grew up seeing my Papa go to the weekly derby. He loves betting small amounts of money that he perhaps has saved from his daily earnings. He considers this as one of the things he argues with Mama before coz Mama wants him to put a halt on this type of interest. But it's easier said than done knowing the fact that Papa has first  taken cared of a fighting cock when he was just 7 years old.  

I think, if Papa was able to get a good education, he would choose one in line with the medical field. I grew up seeing him perform numerous surgeries to tons of his fighting cocks who apparently got lost while on the cockfight. Amazingly, the said fighting cocks survive and even made it to the succeeding fights. I remember holding the lampshade over the cock and curiously watching my Papa look more of a Veterinary Surgeon. Haha.
Our eldest is a dentist and I guess he's the only one who's not afraid of blood, surgery and all those stuff. And it's evident among us on where he got his guts and courage in facing those challenges in the medical industry- it's from Pops! 

As with any type of gambling, my Papa had his wins and losses. But I could say that pretty much had much of the former. He's a very generous person and when he wins, I'm telling you, the people around him didn't have to ask for some money or "balato". If he was ready to share his blessings to his friends and relatives, he's much more ready to give a lot to us! He'd give us money, treat us out and some other things that make us have a good time. 

Now, whenever I see a fighting cock, be it a real one or just a picture; a derby or anything related to it, the only thing I utter, whether silently or verbally, is "Papa"...


I miss you so much Papa...   

No comments:

Post a Comment