"What a father says to his children is not heard by the world, but it will be heard for posterity."

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thank You Pop For Saving My Life

   I have been mentioning how my Papa saved my life but I noticed, I have not yet put them into details... Yes, my Papa did save my life multiple times. 

  My parents usually tell me the story on how they've decided of having another baby, which is, ahem, me. There is only a one-year gap between my eldest brother Eric and our second, Allan. After 7 long years, my Papa told my mama, "Why don't we have another child, a daughter, so you could have someone to be with you, to take care of you when you get old?". Those words, seemed like a premonition. Why did my Papa say that? Did he ever have a hunch that he will be leaving mama behind? He wasn't sick with Diabetes when they've decided to have me and while uttering those words. Is it just co-incidence or again, premonition? Only God knows. 

  On June 1984, my Papa's wish was granted. A baby girl, their only daughter, came to their lives and brought them so much happiness. I've completed the family picture. 

  Fast forward October 2002, hubby and I were getting married. We were realistic and practical. We have decided to have a civil wedding as we didn't have any huge amount of funds for a church wedding. Just as we were processing some requirements for a civil wedding, my mama phoned us telling us that Papa wants us to have a church wedding. And for us not to worry about the wedding expenses...



  Fast forward October 2009, I was pregnant with our son, my mama and Papa's first grandchild. I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and Asthma. I was rushed to the hospital and my baby was at risk. I was a student, my husband was just an average employee. We didn't have any savings at all.. It was then that after a 1-minute phone call to my Papa asking some help for my hospital bill that he sent the funds right away.




  Fast forward June 2012. My colleagues and I  were having lunch at a cafeteria near our work. We were laughing and chatting. Suddenly, when I moved my chair, I accidentally stepped on a stray cat. It bit me on that instance. I rushed back to the office and filed for a VTO or an under-time. Hubby and I went to The Medical City in Ortigas for me to get checked-up. I got my Rabies shots there. Glad it was covered by my HMO. I need to have an ERIG shot for me to be protected from Rabies in the next 2 weeks because the typical Rabies shots will take effect only after 2 weeks. We went to the Novaliches General Hospital to have my ERIG shots. Unfortunately, I failed the skin test and turned out that I was allergic to that vaccine. Last option: HRIG. Costs around 4,000 pesos or roughly $ 100.00 per vial. I need 5 for my weight. Goodness.



  To make the long story short, I have availed of the 5 vials half the price through PCSO, a government body providing financial assistance to the indigenous at RITM. I was so happy the social worker gave me a chance to avail of the discount. I've only spent around 11,000-12,000 pesos for that, compared to the 7,000 per vial, amounting to 35,000 pesos which was quoted to me at The Medical City Ortigas. I got my shots. We didn't have any savings for that urgent expense. Guess who saved my life again? My Papa....



  I know all parents will do their best in providing for their children's needs. In my case, my Mama and Papa never ceased in helping us when we are in need even if I'm already married. It could be because of our culture as Filipinos. But whatever it is, I am honored to be their daughter. Not because of what they could provide me or how much they could give me. No. It's because of the fact that even if they are not in abundance, they are still willing to sacrifice and give us help when we need it most. Up to the last moments of my Papa's life he showed us how much he loves us. And up to the last moments of our lives we will love mama. We will take care of her, the way he envisioned it when they asked for a daughter 28 years ago. And we will continually love and remember him- until we meet him again.


No comments:

Post a Comment